Monday, May 31, 2010

Finally the end of Kailyn's birth story

I can't believe it has taken so long to finish!! Having a colicky baby leaves little time in the evenings for anything but holding Kailyn while she cries (usually from 6pm until bedtime around 9:30-10pm) and trying to comfort her. Then during the day we try to get things done around the house, ect..
Anyways back to her birth story. After they gave me the Pitocin I finally started to get some real contractions. They were bearable for awhile but after a few hours they started to get very intense. They were also so irregular. Sometimes coming one after another only a minute apart! By 10am I was ready to give up. I could barely walk, talk. I was so worn out from the intense pain. But Chris and my friend Lauren (she was helping coach also) pushed me to wait until 10:30am when the nurse would be checking me again. Telling me maybe we were in transition (7-10cm) and this was the worst part. Finally after what seemed like a few more hours the nurse came to check me. Barely 5cm. Over 10 hours after my water broke and just over 7 hours after Pitocin was started and still only 5cm. I was so disappointed and also felt that I just couldn't continue like this for another 10 hours or however long it would take me to get to 10cm. So I asked for the Epidural. So the nurse put in a call for the Anesthesiologist. Finally she came in to put in my Epi. My mom and Lauren had to leave the room but Chris was allowed to stay. I was having such bad contractions at this point one after another I was so afraid I would move if I got one while she was putting in the Epi. But when you have a needle that big being put in your spine you DON'T move!! lol AND I barely felt anything!! Maybe it was because my contractions were so painful but I didn't think it hurt at all. Well turns out that was a good thing because they ended up having to take it out and put in a new one less than an hour later because the first one got in a blood vessel and I could feel everything again. After they finally got the second Epidural working the nurse told me to try and take a nap so I could restore some energy for when it was time to push. Since my water broke at midnight it had been over 24 hours since I had slept. Well after hours of the most intense pain I have ever felt I fell asleep instantly. The nurse came back an hour later to check me and then I was awake again. After getting the Epidural I started to dilate quicker. Finally I believe around 3:45pm it was time to push.
If it wasn't for having the best nurse ever I don't think I would have been able to try as hard as I did. She was so supportive. She turned the Epi off right before I started to push so I could feel a little bit to push better. Usually it can take up to an hour to wear off. She helped me hold one leg while Chris held the other. And I pushed...and pushed....and pushed!! After almost 2 hours of pushing the doctor finally came to check things. Kailyn still hadn't even made it past my pelvic bones. I was also starting to swell really bad. The doctor let me push one time while he was there and I started to yell a little during this push because by this time I could pretty much feel everything!! It had been almost 2 hours since the nurse shut off the Epi. The doctor said, can you feel this?? I said YES! At this point he told us that he felt it was best to do an emergency c-section. She just wasn't coming out this way and after pushing this long she should have been out already. So we agreed whatever would get her in our arms safe and healthy.
He then left the room to set us up for an OR. I then started crying. Just for a minute. A C-section was the last thing I wanted but I knew at this point it would be best. It had been 18 hours since my water broke.
The C-section was not painful at all. Of course they started a new Epi and also gave me some morphine. I was scared but it all happens so fast. And it's crazy how you can feel everything. (but not painful) I could feel when they lifted her out of me. Then they called Chris over to see her while they were cleaning her and started sewing me up. Finally they brought her over to me. I couldn't believe this tiny perfect baby was really finally in my arms. They they let me try to breastfeed her for a few minutes before she was taken up to the nursery and I was taken to recovery. As soon as she found the boob she knew what to do.
Chris went with Kailyn and they finished sewing me up and wheeled me to recovery. They make you stay in recovery until you can lift both legs and your butt off the bed. My one leg would just not cooperate and I started to get very upset! I knew she might be hungry at this point and I just really wanted to see her! I kept complaining to the nurse but they have their policies and would not let me go. FINALLY they said they were taking me to our room. It was pretty late at this time so just Chris and his Mom were in our room. Once I got to the room a few minutes later they wheeled our beautiful little girl in. Of course she wanted to eat! And Mommy finally got to hold her again. ♥
Such an ordeal with the breastfeeding also but that is a whole post in itself. I am happy to say after bleeding nipples and everything I am still breastfeeding almost 4 weeks later and plan to continue.
I have added some more pics to Kailyn Marie album under our album link on left hand side of blog. Gotta go baby girl is waking up again! Time to feed her again.

**Special thank you again to my wonderful Husband for being such a great supportive coach. Also to my friend Lauren and my Mom for being there and helping me through it! It was quite a memorable experience and it wouldn't have been the same without you three there to help!♥**

2 comments:

  1. So happy you got to finish her birth story! You did such an amazing job!! And she is so absolutely beautiful and perfect!!! God Bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting part II of Kailyn's birth story! Congrats on doing such a great job - I'm sorry it must have been scary pushing for 2 hours straight and still nothing - but now that she is safe and sound in your arms, all is in the past and I can't wait to see her develop and grow! Keep posting pics!!

    ReplyDelete